The Medical Council of Canada (MCC) aims to provide high-quality medical care through the assessment of physicians. The MCC assesses more than 14,000 Canadian and international medical students every year through their special assessment process. MCC has a special development and research team that ensures that the MCC never misses on delivering fruitful outcomes each year.
How The MCC Operates
When it comes to the evaluation of physicians in Canada, the Medical Council of Canada plays a very important role. However, the MCC does not offer licenses to medical students as it is the responsibility of the Provincial and Territorial Medical Regulatory Authorities.
Canadian Medical Register And The LMCC
A qualification or degree in medicine is granted to the medical graduates by the MCC, called the Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC.) However, medical graduates have to meet certain criteria, including:
- They have to pass Part I and Part II of the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE).
- They must have 12 months of postgraduate training or equivalent.
The LMCC is not a kind of license. After receiving it, candidates have to enroll their names in the Canadian Medical Register.
The set of academic qualifications that make the applicant eligible for the full licensure in every Canadian territory and province is called the Canadian Standard. Physicians must achieve the following qualifications:
- The candidate must acquire a medical degree from any reputable medical school. The name must be there in the World Directory of Medical Schools.
- Candidates must complete a postgraduate program and the candidate must be evaluated by any recognized authority.
- Candidates have to achieve a certificate from one of these colleges: the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, the College of Family Physicians of Canada, or the College des medicines du Quebec.
Future Plan of the MCC:
- The MCC will play a vital role in the simplification and streamlining of assessment pathways.
- A complete record of every physician in Canada will be maintained by the MCC
- The organization will collaborate with others so that physicians in Canada get the latest information in the current field of study.
- They will work closely with educators and medical regulators to influence the medical curriculum.
We have covered everything related to the Medical Council of Canada. Therefore, we hope that you now understand how the MCC operates.