Here’s Why The Electric Outlet in Canada is Different

If you are going from Canada or to Canada, it is important to know the electrical outlet in Canada. Otherwise, you will see your appliances getting destroyed by plugging them into different voltage socket. Today in this article, we will tell you what you need to take care of while going out of Canada.

The Electric Outlet in Canada

All over North America, there is a standard voltage and frequency. So Canada and Quebec are no different, and the standard voltage is 110 volts to 120 volts with a standard frequency of 60 Hz. The voltage is different than the European standard, 220 volts. For this reason, the European plugs are not suitable for the Canadian electrical sockets. So whenever you are traveling to Canada, you will need a plug adapter or a converter. Otherwise, you can’t use your appliances and will lose them. 

Do I need a travel adapter?

As discussed earlier, you will need an adapter whenever you are traveling outside North America because of the voltage difference. Adaptors are for dual voltage appliances; they do not convert electricity. If you have a transformer or converter from one country, it can be safely plugged into the electric outlet of the other country. 

If you are traveling to Canada from somewhere else in the world, then most likely you will need a plug or power converter. A plug converter fits your foreign plug so it will easily insert into the A-type or B-type outlet, which is used in Canada. While the power converter will change the voltage, they are typically only suitable for small gadgets like hairdryers, etc. 

Voltage Converters

Voltage is not the same all over the world. It varies from country to country. The electricity can be anything between 100V to 240V. It is important to know about the voltage supply of the country before traveling because it is not safe to use electrical appliances rated for a different voltage. 

Sometimes the Voltage is different from the one in your country, so for this purpose, a voltage converter is used. This way, your appliances will not get affected by any frequency or voltage difference.  

For example, if you have a 50Hz clock, it may run faster on a 60Hz electricity supply. Many voltage converters and transformers have a plug adaptor, so you don’t need to buy a separate travel adaptor while traveling. 


All the converters and transformers come will their limited power rating that is their maximum power rating, so keep in mind that your appliances don’t exceed that rating. Otherwise, your appliances won’t work.