How to Get or Transfer a Medical License in Canada

Canada is a country where the demand for doctors is high. Canada has almost 50 to 60 immigration programs in order to find and select doctors and provide good facilities. If you are a qualified doctor, you have many options for immigrating to foreign countries. If you are looking at Canada, there are thirteen provinces and territories where you may be able to find work.

Immigrants can file using the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP).

The whole process consists of several steps that are mentioned below:

  • You must have a medical degree from your home country, and a recognized university should approve that degree. The university has to be listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools.
  • You have to apply for a medical license at the Canada Medical Council.
  • You need to have passed a postgraduate program in Canada.
  • You will need a certification from any of the 17 approved colleges in Canada.

There is also a convenient way to do this if you have a Recognized Medical Qualification. You only need to visit the World Directory of Medical School’s website, and after entering the required details, search the name of your college in the list.

After getting approval from the Medical Council of Canada, you will need a qualification called the Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada.

Requirements For a License:

  • You need to complete 12 months of postgraduate training for approval from the MCC. However, it does not mean that you can practice in Canada with that only.
  • Make sure that you have cleared the qualifying exams. These examinations occur in two consecutive parts. You can finish part 1 of the MCCQE exam at most any location, but you must be in Canada for the second part.
  • After clearing the MCCQE exams, Medical Regulatory Authorities will give you approval.
  • You also have to clear IELTS and TEF Exams that exhibit your language skills. You may have to prove your English or French language abilities to get a job in some hospitals. IELTS is for English, and TEF is for French. You will get a score based on your proficiency in speaking, listening, writing, and reading in those languages.
  • Work experience related to the medical field, even if in a foreign country, is also appreciated. 

Fees to Apply:

If you want to immigrate as a doctor and choose Canada for that purpose, you should be well aware of the fees to apply for a PR Visa. Degree verification, translation fees, and education credential Assessment (ECA), MCCEE application fees, and MCCEE exam fees vary between 200-350 CAD.

Documents that are generally required:

  • Your work capacity and capability.
  • National Occupational Classification (NOC) title.
  • Current salary.
  • Address details. 

You don’t need to go to any dealer for this process. If you want to apply for the application, apply today. Processes are mentioned. So, don’t think anymore, apply now.